The Publication Harvester is a software tool that downloads publications from PubMed, stores them in a database, and generates an accurate count of publications for a set of people. The harvester uses a set of possible name variations for that individual, and records the list of authors. The goal of the software is to gather large amounts of data about specific people from PubMed for statistical analysis. It records the people, publications and publication data in a database, and generates reports based on that data.
The Publication Harvester software runs on Windows Vista and XP. It was written in C#, and requires .NET Framework 4.0. (This should already be installed if you're running a current version of Windows.)
- The latest version of the Publication Harvester can be downloaded here.
- Previous versions can be downloaded here.
- The C# source code can be downloaded from the Subversion repository. The Publication Harvester source code is combined with the source code from its sister project, SC/Gen. The Publication Harvester project is an open source project. You'll need Subversion to get it (unless you want to download the source files directly from the web site), and you'll need Visual Studio 2008 to compile it. It compiles just fine in Visual C# 2008 Express Edition, which you can download for free from Microsoft's website.
- If .NET Framework 3.5 isn't installed, either download and install it or (preferred) use Widows Update to install it.
- Download and install MySQL 5.1.
- Download and install MySQL Connector/ODBC 5.1.
- Use the Windows ODBC Administrator (odbcad32.exe) to create an ODBC connection to the MySQL database installed in step #2.
- Download the latest version of the Publication Harvester, unzip it, and run the installer.
- Run the Publication Harvester from the Start menu.
More detailed installation instructions can be found in the user manual (see below).
The following sample files may be helpful:
Troubleshooting Your People File
Did the sample input file work for you, but when you put together your own People file you didn't get the results you were expecting? Take a look at this guide to troubleshooting your People file.
Trouble Reading Input Files
A few people have reported trouble running the Publication Harvester software. They found that they were getting errors that look like this:
[Microsoft][ODBC Text Driver] Too few parameters. Expected 2.
Could not find installable ISAM
This application has failed to start because msaccess.exe was not found
The instructions in this guide to troubleshooting problems reading input files helped them resolve the problem.
v1.0.35 -- 09-Jun-2012
Log files are now written to %TMP%
v1.0.34 -- 06-Jun-2012
Fixed bug caused by null titles, harvest for a person changed to skip error publications without breaking the whole person
v1.0.33 -- 13-May-2012
Updated CREATE TABLE commands to use utf8 instead of latin1, added stripping of single- and double-quotes from publication titles in harvest and reading from database
v1.0.32 -- 10-Sep-2011
Rebuilt against updated PubMed.dll for changes needed in FindRelated
v1.0.31 -- 13-Aug-2011
Added wildcards to names, made some optimizations
v1.0.30 -- 29-Aug-2010
Fixed error due to permissions problem in settings
v1.0.29 -- 18-Aug-2010
Rebuiltd with .NET 4.0
v1.0.28 -- 13-Jan-2009
Fixed memory issues that caused problems with large input files
v1.0.27 -- 07-Jan-2009
Updated to support MySQL 5.1
v1.0.26 -- 01-Sep-2008
Changed CSV reader to our own CSVReader
v1.0.25 -- 15-May-2008
Made a small change to avoid out of memory exceptions on very large transition files
v1.0.24 -- 10-Jan-2008
Fixed bug where people with no publications were logged as errors in the database.
v1.0.23 -- 09-Jan-2008
Added checkbox to disable check for interruptions, which can take a very long time on huge databases. Fixed error handling to deal with intermittent server problem at NCBI server, and also give better warnings about people without publications in the log.
v1.0.22 -- 08-Dec-2007
Changed the DSN so it's no longer read from the registry on startup, and removed redundant checks for interrupted data (because checking for interrupted data can take a very long time on huge databases).
v1.0.21 -- 24-Oct-2006
Added support for multiple languages
v1.0.20 -- 13-May-2006
Fixed minor glitch that caused error messages to be slightly garbled
v1.0.19 -- 16-Apr-2006
Fixed bug that caused out-of-memory exceptions for very large Medline results.
v1.0.18 -- 15-Apr-2006
Added feature to add rows for PeoplePublications for any person with the same names and search query (for performance reasons).
v1.0.17 -- 22-Mar-2006
Added "update database status" checkbox and buttons for people file maintenance
v1.0.16 -- 22-Mar-2006
People file can now be read either from Excel or CSV file
v1.0.15 -- 13-Mar-2006
Added a performance enhancement to benefit another project (Colleague Generator)
v1.0.14 -- 01-Mar-2006
Fixed a minor bug in reports
v1.0.13 -- 19-Feb-2006
Modified reports to allow the user to specify which sections to include in the People report
v1.0.12 -- 31-Jan-2006
Added "About" box
v1.0.11 -- 29-Jan-2006
Added override first publication type to pubtypes CSV file. (See section 2.1.3 of the software requirements specification.)
v1.0.10 -- 27-Jan-2006
Fixed bug in MeSH Heading report.
We gratefully acknowledgement is given to the financial support of the National Science Foundation (Award SBE-0738142).